Thursday, November 04, 2004

 

My November 3, 2004

A wonderful night's sleep, great election results, a personal chat with Senator elect John Thune, and more good news of Arafat's eminent demise. I had a wonderful day off.


As I did four years ago, I took the day after the election off. I couldn't stay up late on election night, in fact, I was in bed at 8:11 PM after listening to Hugh Hewitt call the returns. I was so tired of the whole process by then. I'd already done my small part by making too many contributions to my selected band of conservative brothers across the country, I've improved the appearance of my truck with Bush/Cheney and W stickers, I've convinced a few Democrats to vote for W and I've cast my ballot at my local polling place. I've known my pick since I was ten years old and I've heard every side of every argument and issue. I had little energy and even less desire to stay up late to see the final sausage made out of this election. I wasn't going to miss much by getting 9 hours of much needed sleep.

Four years ago I took the day after the election off because I was confident that W would beat Al Gore like a bongo drum and I planned on driving up to San Francisco to surprise my father and celebrate the glorious victory. Dad's one of perhaps two castor oil Republicans living atop Russian Hill in the city known as Baghdad By the Bay so I felt he needed a partner to quaff a healthy number of adult beverages while reading the election entrails on TV. I worked out the surprise details with his wife to ensure they'd be home. I left Northridge after voting at 4 PM on election day and was somewhere near the Bakersfield turn-off when the Florida fiasco began to bubble. I contemplated calling Dad from the road to spill the beans on my intended surprise and then turn around to head back home. The news was horrible yet at the same time uncertain with hints of hopefulness so I pressed on. By the time I reached S.F. around 9:30 PM nothing had changed in the news reports. Dad was blown away by my surprise appearance, (well, actually he thought I was f-ing stupid), and the would be celebration turned into a late night vigil with a pop of the champagne cork for the GOP victories that did happen. I sulked out of town the next day around noon. The whole trip, with the exception of the face that said, "What the hell are you doing here?" was a bust. The whole next month remained a bust until a certain 5-4 decision, and even that was a hollow victory.

This year there would be no surprise trips to San Francisco regardless of the outcome. My day after goals were to wake up early, take in the election results through the narrowly cracked fingers over my eyes on TV and the web, do some last minute spelling quizzes with the little lad and get him to school by 8:05 AM. I met my goals and then some!

At 5:00 AM I was out of bed and in front of the TV with a big mug of coffee. I hadn't slept for nine good hours in years. By the time the lad and I walked to school at 7:45 AM the news was good enough to call it a win for W. The clip of Andy Card claiming victory sounded convincing to me so I got on the phone to call Dad, the brother and the sister. Throughout the day the results and exit polling data just kept getting better and better. The red / blue map now shows the dems inhabiting thin strips of turf on the coasts and up in the northeast corner.... We've almost pushed them into the ocean entirely. My new goal is to keep pushing. The marriage-is-for-boys-and-girls won in 11 out of 11 states where they felt the need to affirm this age old arrangement in order to stave of the marriage-is-ok-too-for-boys-and-boys-or-sheep-and-boys-if-we-want delivered by unelected judges.

My favorite win of the day, however, behind W of course, was John Thune in South Dakota showing Tom "I'm concerned" Daschle the door. AND!, I had the great honor of personally congratulating John Thune on Hugh Hewitt's radio show. Hugh announced that Thune would be on after a commercial break so I raced to the phone and was able to get through on the first shot. Hugh introduced Thune and congratulated him, Thune then thanked Hugh for all his support. Hugh then said that he had received tons of e-mail and calls about Thune's win and that he had someone on the phone who really deserved a personal chat with the senator-elect... "We call him Wagonboy! Michael in Northridge go ahead." I told Thune I was honored to personally congratulate him for beating Daschle and I looked forward to him popping the cork on all the legislation that's been bottled up in the Senate under Daschle's watch. (Or something to that effect!) It truly was an honor.

Aside from the gains in the House and Senate and the various GOP majorities and governorships across the country, the other good news of the day was the further decline of Arafat's health. I've had a bottle of champagne waiting in the fridge since the final game of the World Series when I first heard of his eminent demise. (See my earlier blog from that night.) Day by day that champagne is getting closer to my lips as Arafat gets closer to room temperature. As of this writing at 5:00 PM on 11/04 the price of oil is dropping because he's about to croak. Another major scab is about to fall off the Middle East and some long overdue healing will hopefully begin. The scar will always be there, however. -Wb

Comments:
I've heard you on Hewitt's show at times and always agreed with what you had to say. I love your blog.
9-11 effected me similarly. When Bush told the military to "get ready" it motivated me to lose 50 pounds and get back in the national guard after a twelve year break in service.

Hugh also motivated me to spend money on Republicans, sometimes to Mrs. OSAPian's chagrin (although she is a loyal Republican). Tuesday night felt even better than it normally would have because I knew I helped contribute to the Republican's overwelming victory.

I'm a new blogger myself so welcome aboard!
 
Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic
 
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/john-mayer.html#1]john mayer[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/carrie-underwood.html#2]carrie underwood[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/robin-thicke.html#3]robin thicke[/url]
john mayer
carrie underwood
robin thicke
 
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/john-mayer.html#1]john mayer[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/carrie-underwood.html#2]carrie underwood[/url]
[url=http://ericbachmann.portmerch.com/stores/schemes/dingbats/color/images/robin-thicke.html#3]robin thicke[/url]
john mayer
carrie underwood
robin thicke
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?