Friday, February 11, 2005

 

Right Thing To Do. But, Too Late.

Statement by Eason Jordan, Chief Executive of News at CNN:

I have devoted my professional life to helping make CNN the most trusted and respected news outlet in the world, and I would never do anything to compromise my work or that of the thousands of talented people it is my honor to work alongside.
While my CNN colleagues and my friends in the U.S. military know me well enough to know I have never stated, believed, or suspected that U.S. military forces intended to kill people they knew to be journalists, my comments on this subject in a World Economic Forum panel discussion were not as clear as they should have been.
I never meant to imply U.S. forces acted with ill intent when U.S. forces accidentally killed journalists, and I apologize to anyone who thought I said or believed otherwise. I have great admiration and respect for the men and women of the U.S. armed forces, with whom I have worked closely and been embedded in Baghdad, Tikrit, and Mosul, in addition to my time with American soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen in Afghanistan, former Yugoslavia, Somalia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and the Arabian Gulf.
As for my colleagues at CNN, I am enormously proud to have worked with you, risking my life in the trenches with you, and making CNN great with you. For that experience, and for your friendship and support these many years, I thank you.


Had he been this upfront, straightforward and sincere when he first set the blaze that ultimately consumed him and his network Mr. Jordan would still have job at an organization he clearly loves and the organization itself would have a wee bit more credibility than it does today. Mr. Jordan and CNN willingly, and predictably, walked away from responsible course of action.

Another figure of American politics surprised me this week by showing a side of himself that I never knew existed; Terry McCauliffe, the outgoing head of the DNC.

Terrible McCawful has been his handle to most Republicans and conservatives since he first took the stage to charge out from under the porch and bark down anyone who challenged Billary's antics or policies. He was boorish, mean, snotty, condescending, duplicitous to the nth degree, rude and everything else you don't want to be with or listen to. Just plain awful! However, during a ride in the truck this week I had Sean Hannity on and his guest was none other than Mr. McCauliffe. I couldn't believe it was the same guy. Respectful, attentive to Sean's questions, gracious for the time on the air at Hannity and Colmes and on the Sean Hannity Show over the years, able to take some ribbing and laugh at himself.... It wasn't at all the same Terrible McCawful who'd rear his Puckish mug on the tube each week or spout-off poison gas to a talk show host. I was genuinely surprised and couldn't help but think how different the '04 election could have been if this Terry McCauliffe, the one looking back and saying good-bye this week, had presented himself to his party and the electorate. What would a positive, good natured and honest tone have done for the Democrats? A couple of percentage points?

We'll never know because here again the sincerity and the gentlemanly manners have come when it doesn't matter and it's too late.

Lessons learned? Not likely. Howard Dean's stepping up to the mic. -Wb
Comments:
Re: Mr. Jordans exit speech.

All he had to do was release the tape if he is sooooo innocent. The fact that the tape is being held lets the world know that the Portugal speech was backed up and reiterated in Davos.
 
www.rocket-f.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?